Nancy's Travelblogue

... there isn't a train I wouldn't take, no matter where it's going. -- Edna St. Vincent Millay

Name:
Location: California, United States

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

FROM THE WRITERS DESK - FINALE




What you see in this photo are the components that go into a final draft of a book:
  • 1 copy of the book, formatted as I envision it
  • 2 copies of the book UNformatted. Yes, all the formatting I did for myself to get a vision of how readers would see it, had to be undone. This took a whole week-end. But hopefully the professional book designers, who understand much more about these things than I, will do a great job in making it look beautiful
  • CDs. These are electronic copies of the whole thing. My publisher asked for one. I made another copy for my personal files, another copy to put in my safety deposit box, and made copies on my two flash drives. Overkill? Only time will tell.
  • Permissions. These are forms that must be signed by the creator for any POSSIBLY copyrighted material. In my case, I got these permissions for forms that I will reproduce in my book (which may or may not be copyrighted). In addition to this, I contacted anyone I quoted in the book and asked him or her to approve as is, or adapt the quotes. It's a lot of extra work, but I think it engenders good will and prevents bad surprises. I don't think people like to see their words in print without knowing about it ahead of time.
  • Notes to copy editor. These are my personal notes on style. citations, etc., telling the copy editor what she should or should not change, what works and what doesn't

Yesterday I sent my final manuscript to the publisher. For the most part I am finished, and it is mostly in his hands. What a relief! Since this book has been my constant companion, in waking and in sleep, turning it over to the publisher is a real cutoff time, and I will probably not write about it again for a while.

WHEW!! Back to real life.

I want the acknowledge, and to thank my publisher Mitch Allen of Left Coast Press, for all the support, good advice, and good humor. The publishing house has changed, but the publisher has stayed the same. I recommend Left Coast Press to anyone publishing in the social sciences or humanities, and I also recommend that you avoid conglomerates, and seek a small publisher.

After all, folks, few of us will get rich as published authors, so we might as well have a good time, and the secret that (as to everything in life), is to cultuvate a good relationship with the person who will turn your manuscript into a published book.

Oh yes, the book itself. Check it out.

Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home