Nancy's Travelblogue

... there isn't a train I wouldn't take, no matter where it's going. -- Edna St. Vincent Millay

Name:
Location: California, United States

Monday, June 19, 2006

SHARING THE WATERS WITH THE RICH


Claremont Hotel, Berkeley, California

Thanks to a gift certificate, I grabbed the chance for a massage at the Claremont Spa & Resort, and to sneak a peek at how the rich – or very self- indulgent – spend their time. Why rich and self-indulgent? Take a look at this price list:

Aromatherapy massage: $130/$180

LaStone massage: $190

Table Thai massage: $135/$190

Tibetan sound massage: $135/$190

Rosemary citron Dead Sea salt scrub: $120

Moor mud wrap: $120

Zen trilogy wrap: $120

Ultimate exfoliating facial: $130/$190

Carita signature facial: $195

Complete service day spa: $525

Evening for two in the spa: $415

I broke these figures down to the minute (variations are based on length of service), and found that each service costs between $2.30 and $2.75 per minute (!). Of course, you can't buy services by the minute, it's in 60 or 90 minute sections. But they are nice though to validate your parking, and offer complimentary child care.

But enough about money. I entered on the ground floor of the Claremont Hotel, (possibly the very door I entered when I worked at an engineering firm based at the Hotel from 1967-1969. Another story) and found my way to the spa. Though I'm an old hand at taking the waters and getting massages, this one intimidated me a bit. I arrived an hour early to take advantage of the spa before my massage.

It was all very nice -- the steam room, the shower with seven jets, the jacuzzi, the unrelenting spa music -- upscale in a cold, not a classy way. It was nice, but ... well, the massage was wonderful, and that's what matters. My masseuse introduced herself as Sadie, a young, jolly woman, who was able to soothe my sore muscles and put me in a very good mood.

So now I feel good, and the whole experience got me thinking about the memorable spa and taking-the-waters experiences in my life:

  • Berkeley YMCA, where my women friends and I would go together for massages, instead of to bars and clubs. Back when massages were affordable.
  • Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Across the street from the big hotel is a favorite mineral springs, it's hot, and it's free. The company is good, too.
  • Harbin Hot Springs, Lake County, California. Where I went in my younger days.
  • Indian Springs, Calistoga, California. Still my all time favorite, especially for the mud baths.
  • Austin, NV (?) or somewhere in the middle of Nevada is a wonderful hot springs in the absolute middle of nowhere. Anyone who has attended Burning Man will be able to give directions. Since I was there in the middle of the night and I wasn't driving, I can't be of help (don't ask -- in 20 years or so I may write a memoir and tell all).
  • Taos Spa and Tennis Club, Taos New Mexico. Where I got one of the best massages on my life. Despite it's deceiving name, this club is my style -- not too macho, not too New Age. My masseuse's name is Mae. She is originally from the Bay Area (as are many Taosenos), tired of a masseuse's wages, and considering becoming a librarian. we had much to talk about after the massage (though a librarians wages are not much better than a masseuse's).
  • Piedmont Springs, Oakland, California. Where I've gotten most of the massages, especially when I lived a half block away.







Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home